Re: corruption of ext2 loopback mounted encrypted filesystems.

Alexander Kjeldaas (astor@fast.no)
Sun, 30 May 1999 11:22:50 +0200

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 02:20:09AM -0500, kernel@draper.net wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 03:31:02AM +0100, root@mauve.demon.co.uk wrote:
> > I'm seeing corruption of filesystems, encrypted, with idea, on kernel
> > 2.2.5, with the kerneli patch applied, and e2compr (though I am not using
> > e2compr on the affected filesystems)
> > Apm, as it's a laptop.
> >
> <snip>
> >

> I am not aware of similar symptoms reported against either the loop
> device driver or the kerneli patches (Astor, please feel free to
> comment if you like).
>
> It would be helpful to determine if corruption continues to occur after
> e2compr modifications have been removed from your system.

The only corruption that has been reported is from people who have
moved their files (taken backup for instance). Since we currently use
the physical block number as initialization vector when encrypting a
block, the loopback file can't be moved. When it is moved, there will
be _total_ corruption - nothing will decrypt correctly. There is a
workaround described in the Documentation/crypto/faq.txt file.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Fast Search & Transfer, Trondheim, Norway