Re: Q: PAGE_CACHE_SIZE

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Mon, 31 May 1999 02:04:59 +0200

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 07:53:39PM -0400, Emil Briggs wrote:

> I've done benchmarks of this type on the Origin2000 with IRIX 6.5 and
> the page size can have a big effect on performance. It's very easy to
> experiment since individual users can select the page size used by their
> application for code, data, and stack. I don't know how the OS deals
> with that though. Seems like it could be a tricky thing to do.

HP and one year later SGI have published papers about that topic on
USENIX. They however are mostly tackeling the issue with TLB reloads
which severly can impact system performance for certain types of
workloads.

It's however not what I was refering to. I want to see how changing the
the size of the basic page to a different value, something that affects
all processes and the kernel.

Ralf