Re: is Linux obsolete?

Mirian Crzig Lennox (lennox@alcita.com)
31 May 1999 12:12:10 -0400

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
> Good examples of real world message passing microkernels
>
> AmigaOS Exec
> QNX

I'd also like to add VSTa to that list... although it is definitely
still in the "research" category, it has the virtue of being open
source and truly a microkernel in the classic sense: the only thing
the kernel does is processes and vm; everything else (device drivers,
filesystems, networking, etc.) is a user process. And it is fast,
even on a 486!

> Everyone forgets the Amiga, which is probably the most successful message
> mass production message passing OS ever.

I absolutely adored AmigaOS in its heyday, but it was/is never general
purpose enough; if it were ported to a machine without the Amiga's
sexy hardware, I doubt most people would have given it a second look.

--
Mirian Crzig Lennox                                Systems Anarchist
  "Don't follow leaders... watch the parking meters."  --Bob Dylan