Re: Beep on shutdown

George (greerga@nidhogg.ham.muohio.edu)
Mon, 31 May 1999 15:19:02 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 31 May 1999, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:

>On Mon, 31 May 1999, George wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 29 May 1999, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>>
>> >I rememeber some talk a while ago about having an option of making system
>> >beep of "System halted" message is displayed.
>>
>> If you have RedHat, edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/halt:
>>
>> # Now halt or reboot.
>> echo "$message"
>> [ -f /fastboot ] && echo "On the next boot fsck will be skipped."
>> + echo -e '\a'
>> eval $command -d
>>
>> If you don't want it to beep on reboot, adjust script to suit. The above
>> works in bash, maybe different for your flavor of shell. Slackware is
>> similiar but /etc/rc.d/rc.0 instead.
>>
>> -George Greer
>>

>Yes - but can I really turn the machine off _right_ after it beeps ?

Right above those lines you would have seen:

# Turn off swap, then unmount file systems.
echo "Turning off swap"
swapoff -a
echo "Unmounting file systems"
umount -a
mount -n -o remount,ro /

echo "Remounting remaining filesystems (if any) readonly"
mount | awk '/ext2/ { print $3 }' | while read line; do
mount -n -o ro,remount $line
done

Your filesystems are mounted read-only already.

So yes.

-George Greer