Re: serial callout devices

Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 02:48:49 -0400 (EDT)

Alan Curry writes:
> Miquel van Smoorenburg writes the following:

>> stty -F /dev/ttyS1 clocal
>
> (
> stty 38400
>
> chat -f /usr/lib/ppp/chatscript
> case $? in
> 0) echo "Success" 1>&2
> /usr/sbin/pppd & ;;
> 4) echo "BUSY" 1>&2 ;;
> *) echo "call failed" 1>&2 ;;
> esac

Arrrrgh!!! (sorry for this off-topic rant)

This is just nuts. I don't know where people are getting these ideas.
Try the PPP documentation. (not just the above people -- many have
posted similar strange hacks) You start PPP like this:

pppd call foo (foo is a config file in /etc/ppp/peers/)

That's it. Nothing more. No stty needed. No ifconfig needed.
No shell script needed. You can alias the above to "ppp".

----------- content of /etc/ppp/peers/foo ------------------
name John_Doe # authenticate ourselves with this
asyncmap 0 # be safe for now
modem # obvious
crtscts # use hardware flow control
defaultroute # use the ISP as our default route
noipdefault # other side will supply our address
/dev/modem # symlink to a /dev/ttyS* device
115200 # run the serial port at 115200 baud
debug # log the contents of all control packets
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -e -v -f /etc/ppp/chat-foo'

-------------- content of /etc/ppp/chat-foo ----------------
ECHO ON
TIMEOUT 5
ABORT "BUSY"