(no subject)

Jorge Gonzalez Villalonga (jorgegv@icai.upco.es)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 11:32:58 +0200

Cristian Prevedello wrote:

> Good morning,
> i've an intel server (slink) which export homes over nfs.
> The client (a sparc with slink) use autofs to mount dinamically homes.
> The problem is with quota, which is ignored if i use autofs to mount only
> user's home which are currently logged and not the entire filesystem.
> The quota works perfectly if i mount the entire file system
> (mount -t nfs server-name:/home-dir /home).
>
> I use a configuration like this for autofs
>
> /etc/auto.master
>
> /home yp auto.home
>
> and the auto.home nismap contains entry like these
> plasma chiara.dei.unipd.it:/home/plasma
>
> Since the quota should be checked be the server, it's a server problem, i
> think nfs-server. Any idea why this strange behaviour?
>
> thank in advance
> regards
> Cristian Prevedello

I have the same problem with a RH5.2 server over here, and the problem
is the user-space nfs server: when it writes to a file, it does so as
root, and not the user, so quotas are not checked. I did a
very-very-very-ugly hack to the nfs daemon to do the checking, but it
involved doing a stat for each write to the file, and it hurts
performance very badly (yes, performance is even worse than before! ;-).

I don't think hacking it is worth the time, since the kernel-space nfs
server does quotas well (i have checked it in the source - in fact I
took the hack from there), and it seems to get going quite well; I'm
testing it thoroughly, and probably will go kernel-nfs by next academic
year - which in Spain happens to be in september.

Cheers
Jorge

--
Jorge Gonzalez  <jorgegv@icai.upco.es>       -o)
ICAI - Universidad Pontificia Comillas       /\\