Re: New S3 videocard

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:41:57 +0200

On May 31, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Stanislav V. Voronyi wrote:
> >
> > Hi All!
> > I've bought new videocard from S3 - S3 Trio3D2X. This card isn't known for
> > /proc/pci or lspci utility. This card have the following PCI ID:
> > 5333:8a13 - please add to oldpci & lspci.
> >
> > And now my main problem with this card - when I tried to set better screen
> > resolution using SVGATextmode 1.8 I found strange thing. I treat this card
> > in /etc/TextConfig as S3Trio. When I tried to set mode
> > "132x43x8_16" 65 1056 1096 1216 1336 688 688 694 714 font 8x16
> > my monitor turn off. I check up with grabmode what mode I've set and saw that
> > I've got 130 MHz dot clock instead of 65. I tied several another modes and
> > every time I've got dot clock twice greater. If anyone know how to set properly
> > dot clock for this card please reply to me.
>
> Trio3D is more commonly known as the Virge.

wrong! Trio3D is _not_ ViRGE (one reason why it's spelled different;).
it's `somewhat' compatible with ViRGE, but not enough for any ViRGE hardware driver
to work correctly with Trio3D.

> Try using the XFree86 Virge server and see what clocks it comes up with.

nope. right now, only VGA16 or FBDev servers can be used for S3 Trio3D.
the upcoming next XFree86 release will have support for Trio3D though.
see XFree86 FAQs...

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\