Re: Migrating to larger numbers

David Lang (hagopiar@vuser.vu.union.edu)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 17:36:57 -0400 (EDT)

Keep in mind that 40 years ago we were just entering the "Second
Generation Computers (1956-1963)"
(http://www.digitalcentury.com/encyclo/update/comp_hd.html) which started
out with the transistor. 40 years is a long time.

The problem is using a 64-bit time_t on a 32-bit system, especially on an
embedded one where performance per $ counts... long longs are SLOW, and
for such a commonly used value it would be a significant performance hit.

Sure, it would be nice, but so would a 128-bit value. That would solve
time problems for quite a while, but it's just not practical. That's why
Sun went the way of fixing it for 64-bit machines and letting the 32-bit
machines fall to the wayside.

Oh. And keep in mind that linux won't even run on a 16-bit machine
(although there was a port to the 286 at one point?)... :-)
-Rob