Re: Everyone's a captain on a calm sea...

Wed, 2 Jun 1999 18:01:38 +0200

Ian Eure wrote:
> > > Netscape has just released a 4.6 version, but it's too early to
> > > tell if it
> > > suffers from the same problem.
> > (referring to the SIGALRM problem)
> >
> > Yes, it does. Mine went belly-up yesterday, though it seems to wait
> > for longer before doing this. A wrapper library (distributed through
> > the mailling list some time ago) goes a long way to making the
> > problem less virulent, though when it eventually *does* happen, I
> > can only kill Netscape with a kill -s 9 ...
> >
> AFAIK, this is an incompatibility between Communicator 4.xx and the
> newer glibc systems; It really started to get out of hand for me when I
> upgraded to glibc 2.1.

AFAIK, from debugging the thing when it was first noticed, it has
nothing to do with Glibc and everything to do with assuming a process
can write & read a pipe without deadlock. Which is great unless you try
to stuff >4k bytes into the pipe -- then the write blocks and Netscape
freezes.

Turning off Java and Javascript fixes the problem for me.

-- Jamie