Re: XTP: A better TCP than TCP

Vince Lo Faso (vincelofaso@earthlink.net)
Wed, 02 Jun 1999 16:47:58 -0700

Greetings,

I've been working on an XTP implementation for Linux for some time
(and will be the first to admit that I'm order due for releasing
it publically).

I recently ported it to kernel 2.3.x and am in the process of (re)sending
a patch to David.

I'm doing this strictly on a volunteer basis, which means I can respond to
emails
during the evenings and have limitted time for its development--but unlimitted

interested in its growth and potential. More info will follow.

Quick synopsis of XTP:

XTP is quite flexible and versatile, capable of offering UDP-like and TCP-like

services--and everything in between--in one protocol stack. However, its
flexibility
is also its weak point. There is little public
data-experience-testing-implementation
on making XTP work in an IP environment, hence this XTP-Linux project.
There are also several transport issues that need to be explored in an XTP/IP
environment.

If anyone is really interested in this and wants to help out, let me know
offline.

Thanks,

Vince.