Re: Solid lockups on 2.2.9

Kurt Garloff (garloff@suse.de)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 02:53:49 +0200

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 12:11:53PM -0500, Linux Staff wrote:
> I have been having solid lockups on 2.2.x almost daily on one machine, and
> I mean solid, no messages onscreen just the login prompt. Does not respond
> to magic sysrq. So far I have changed the pci slot of the old ethernet
> card (3c905B) to keep it from having an irq shared with the scsi card. I
> then totally removed the 3c905B in favor of an intel etherexpress pro 100.
> Currently I am about to recompile the kernel without smp support to see if
> that is the cause of the lockups (the bios doesnt have an option to
> disable one cpu). I decided to use 2.2.x because of the SMP advances,=20
> if disabling smp does not fix the problem I'll try 2.0.x next. Below is
> the output of dmesg and some other relavent information. Any help
> debugging or ideas on what might be causing this would be appreciated.

Tn the past, some SMP lockups that were reported were caused by the
EEPro100. So it might be worth exchanging it in favour of another network
card and see what happens.

Regards,
--=20
Kurt Garloff <garloff@suse.de> SuSE GmbH, N=FCrnberg, FRG
Linux kernel development; SCSI driver: DC390 (tmscsim/AM53C974)

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l--