Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 20:34:33 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, David Hinds wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 1999 at 06:31:26PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > The verification part comes in through the fact that the way things are
> > set up right now, nobody _ever_ uses the PCMCIA package the same way
> > during installation as they use it in everyday use. Basically, right now
> > the everyday use gets tested every day, and the installation use gets
> > tested once in a blue moon, if even that.
>
> If someone purports to maintain an installation tool, then they should
> test it.

On 200+ different laptops, with new ones coming out every day?

Don't be silly. The only way to test this is to have USERS test it.

And face it, users simply WILL NOT keep re-installing the system just to
test it. As such, the only way you get reasonable coverage is to just make
the installation use _exactly_ the same setup as any regular bootup event.

That means: kernel command line options are _not_ acceptable in general,
for example. And configuration files are completely unacceptable, because
you don't have anything to set them up with.

> I still don't know what specific sorts of problems you're
> talking about, that crop up only in an installation context. I don't
> know of any, since PCMCIA is generally configured with the same tools
> and scripts as in normal use.

AND THOSE TOOLS DO NOT EXIST WHEN INSTALLING!

You can't expect a user to edit a text file before being able to read from
the CD.

Ok, that's the last I'm going to bother with this issue.

Linus