Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

David Hinds (dhinds@lahmed.stanford.edu)
Thu, 3 Jun 1999 17:25:30 -0700

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 12:08:54AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > The normal built-in IDE driver can obviously driev the hardware. If the
> > _only_ thing we did in kernel space was some very simple cardbus logic
> > (PCI-only, detect the cardbus chip, query it for devices, and handle the
> > special cases that we care about), I bet it wouldn't be more than a few kB
> > worth of driver.
>
> For PCMCIA this partly exists. We have this feature (what DOS calls a point
> enabler I believe) in the Psion5 palmtop port. Werner Almesberger has much
> of this to hand. It also has a generic power management framework which may
> be good to adopt.

What Linus is asking for is actually sort of the inverse of a point
enabler. It isn't enabling the device at all: it just needs to query
the existing configuration. Point enablers need to deal with resource
conflicts, read card configuration data, etc. This just assumes that
all those things were already dealt with.

-- Dave