Re: Large tmp files, async flush and still lots of I/O?

Bernd Eckenfels (ecki@lina.inka.de)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 02:50:31 +0200

In article <99060212474000.00732@mouse> you wrote:
> Your belief that this shouldn't happen if the file has already been deleted
> sounds reasonable. I think the reason it doesn't work is due to Unix unlink
> semantics. To be precise, unlink() does _not_ delete a file. Rather, a file is
> deleted when unlink() has been used sucessfully on all its names and all
> processes have closed it. Thus, technically, in your example, the file has not
> been deleted, so the kernel is right to commit it to disk.

But the inode has a link count of 0, which tells the kernel that it wont be
accessable after it is closed, therefore the kernel dont need to bother to
write the data to disk.

Greetings
Bernd