Bootables CDs

Peter Horton (pdh@colonel-panic.com)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 06:26:45 +0100

On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 01:44:55AM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi David.
>
> >> If I could butt in for a second. Linus's solution is not right,
> >> in my humble opinion, but the problem he identifies needs a good
> >> solution better than "not many people have this problem".
>
> > I never meant to give that implication. I object to Linus' claim
> > that these sorts of installations are unsupported because they
> > are too hard to do in the current PCMCIA architecture. It's a
> > simple space issue: adding PCMCIA to an initrd, when you're
> > already committed to the initrd framework, is not rocket
> > science. That doesn't mean it is a non-issue.
>
> Since you appear to at least be willing to discuss the subject,
> perhaps you can answer the question I've asked a number of times
> regarding this, that nobody appears to be willing to answer:
>
> Q> What is so magical about having the CD's boot image being
> Q> a 1440k image when the standard specifies that the boot
> Q> image can also be 2880k in size?
>
> I can confirm that I've checked this out with both the systems I have
> access to that can boot off their CD drives, by burning a CD with a
> 2880k boot image and seeing if they can boot off it. Both booted fine.
>
> However, I realise that a random sample of two computers is not firm
> proof that all such systems would be OK, hence my question...

Hi Riley.

Award's 4.51 BIOS definately supports all the boot sizes (including
hard disk image), as does Phoenix's 4.06 BIOS, and any BIOS that can
boot NT CDs can do non-emulation mode boots (loading an arbitrary
number of sectors from an arbitrary position on the CD into RAM).
The only feature in the spec that I can't find support for is the
non-boot emulation image (e.g. the machine boots from C:, but still
maps a CD image to A:). Mind you, the Phoenix BIOS I tested with
reported the sector size of the CD as 512 bytes :-(

P.