Re: Linux and Apache performance, Update

Jim Gettys (jg@pa.dec.com)
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 07:02:55 -0700

> Sender: owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
> From: "Jon P. deOng" <jdeong@cnmnetwork.com>
> Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 15:54:15 -0700
> To: Andi Kleen <ak-uu@muc.de>, dank@alumni.caltech.edu
> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu, ju@ct.heise.de
> Subject: Re: Linux and Apache performance, Update
> -----
> Have you tried benchmarking using linux and the zeus web server. We have
> found it "Really Whips the Llamas Ass" when compared to apache/linux and
> nt/iis4 for that matter.
> my .02
> jpd

This is completely irrelevant to most people: Apache has over 50% of the
web servers on the Internet, for good reason (works well on most systems,
and has the functionality most people want and need).

So the common, valid, comparison most real people will want to see is
Apache/Linux vs. IIS/NT; those are the viable options for most people.
Even Microsoft's Ballmer admits that Apache has the functionality most
people want (which is why apache's market share has continued to increase,
and IIS has at best held steady.

A benchmark from Zeus, while academically interesting, is irrelevant
to real people making decisions in the world: most will want to
run Apache on Linux, despite Zeus's better characteristics on benchmarks.

So one way or the other, we need to get Apache on Linux to work at least
as well as it does on other UNIX systems. Progress is being made here,
from what I see, (see recent threads on the topic, where with
current patches, performance on a uni is roughtly comparable to other
UNIX's now) but we have further to go (on SMP's, with multiple network
adaptors, where things are not scaling the way they should be able to).
- Jim