Re: About Schedule...

Rik van Riel (riel@nl.linux.org)
Sat, 5 Jun 1999 00:26:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 1999, Fernando Barreto wrote:

> I read the source code (sched.c) and i think FIFO and
> RoudRobin are used in RealTime aplications, is that right??

Yes. They are POSIX (soft) RT scheduling modes. Read
kernel/sched.c::goodness() for more information.

> When the FIFO, RoudRobin schedule algoritms are used??? I
> think they ar used on operations with I/O.

They are used when the process in question is a realtime
process. Nothing more and nothing less.

> I need to know because i'll add a realtime schedule to Linux
> to do my project in University.

> What's the diference about the realtime in Linux and the
> realtime in BeOs???

Yes, I agree that CS education simply isn't adequate
anymore :(

cheers,

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.