Re: 2.2.x instabilities

David (david+nospam@kalifornia.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 19:52:52 -0700

ron flory wrote:

> hi-
>
> I am writing to ask (beg) that work continue on stabilizing 2.2.x
> series kernels before diverting valuable resources to 2.3.x. Traffic
> on this list is an indication that we still have some work to do.

different people do different things, there are a lot of people biting at the
bit to work on future additions to the kernel, they aren't responsible for
other parts of the kernel. don't worry, 2.2.x will continue to fixed as is
needed.

if 2.0 was so perfect, we wouldn't hear about so many bugs and exploits for
it ;) i too have run 2.0 for a couple of years continuously, but i also
wrapped them in machines to filter bad packets. in my opinion, 2.2 is ready
for production, i have systems that get hammered rough and tough and they are
still kickin.

i haven't had any of my machines mysteriously die...i did something to it
that made it break and i knew it. on the systems i work with, they
cumulatively handle hundreds of gigs per day. they aren't crashing. NW
things are listed as development still iirc. SMP is much better than 2.0 and
is still being developed.

my kernel sources only produce tiny amounts of warnings and a thorough
inspection of them doesn't make me panic. yes, it could look more pretty,
but it isn't blowing up.

if you never got an OOPS with your 2.0 kernel, you haven't run teardrop or
<insert 'sploit> or did this or that in /proc or etc, etc.

when you have OOPSes, report them. nobody knows your configuration is broken
if you don't post the bug.

yes, Linux is the best.

long live linux!

-d

--
 This is Linux Country. On a quiet night, you can hear Windows NT reboot!
  Do you remember how to -think- ? Do you remember how to experiment? Linux