Re: Linux and Apache performance, Update

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Fri, 04 Jun 1999 23:17:59 -0700

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> In article <7j9h20$jfv$1@palladium.transmeta.com> you wrote:
>
> > One interesting thing is that Network Applicance's tanks can speak
> > HTTP for static data serving. They then recommend a tranditional host
> > for the dynamic content. There should be no reason why you couldn't
> > run a super-fast static page server *and* a good dynamic server at the
> > same time.
>
> Hi,
>
> There is something similar for Linux. (I am developping it).
> It is called "khttpd" and is basically a kernel-module doing httpd for
> static pages and for dynamic-content, Apache (or any other webserver) is
> used.
>
> Static httpd in the kernel makes somewhat sense (the problem is similar to
> nfsd), and performance looks good (ie. very close to Zeus). If you saw the
> website (from the C'T guy) mentioned earlier in this thread, it showed NT
> doing 1400 requests/second on a 4x Xeon with his program. My 350Mhz K6-2
> does that with two fingers in the nose...

Yes it does; basically you have an engine in the kernel doing copyfile()
without even bouncing to a user-space server. You can run it on a
different port than the "main", dynamic, server for serving pictures and
so on...

I think this is a killer combination...

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with