Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel -Reply

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
5 Jun 1999 13:22:08 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.s75622ea.023@amtrak.com>,
Mike Phillips <PHILLIM@amtrak.com> wrote:
>> It depends.
>
>> I've got a little Sony VAIO 505fx that will boot off a pcmcia
> > IDE cdrom.
>
>But, to back up one side of the argument, you can't do a regular
>install from it on the Sony, it takes ide2 ioport arguments on the
>kernel command line to make it work.

Unless PCMCIA card services can detect the cdrom; If I have to
manually tweak a kernel, that means my installer is broken.

I'd much rather do heroic things inside the kernel and a lilo'ed or
syslinux'ed install floppy than put things on the command line,
because once I've got the code doing it, it's not something I have
to remember. I don't like having to resort to memory or digging
through megabytes of documentation when I am personally responsible
for maintaining Linux on the abovementioned Sony, a HP Omnibook
5700, a Thinkpad 701c, a NEC Versa 2000C, a noname Pentinum
notebook, a Compaq luggable (386/25 w/ 10mb), a Panasonic all-in-one
LCD box, yet another Sony, about 40 server/workstation machines, and
a few 386sx regression carcasses.

____
david parsons \bi/ automation is good.
\/