Re: 2.3 wish: integrate pcmcia into mainstream kernel

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Sun, 6 Jun 1999 13:47:46 -0600

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 10:48:30AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Because I do not like modules [when kernel changes more often then its
> version changes, it is hard to keep right versions of modules with
> right versions of kernel -- /var/lib/modules/_version_ is now not
> enough. And when I hack my kernel, I do not increase version
> counts. That's why I do not trust modules.]

Forgive me, but these seem like trivial complaints. The purpose of the
OS is not to support OS hackers. Do insmod by hand from
/usr/src/mylinux/modules and you'll be fine.

> Because I want to be able to nfsroot= with pcmcia ne2k.

So why shouldn't the kernel+init be able to load modules for you?
It seems to me that the real problem is a clumsy interaction between kernel
and modules. What one should be able to do is to provide initrd a method
for loading modules _before_ the root file device is enabled. And this method
needs to be easily configurable at compile and boot time.