Re: Migrating to larger numbers

H. Peter Anvin (hpa@transmeta.com)
Mon, 07 Jun 1999 18:08:35 -0700

Richard Gooch wrote:

> > devfs is based on a completely bogus idea: that a device driver is a
> > kernel thing. *THIS* is the supreme fallacy, and a major pitfall for
> > Linux today. devfs in fact helps perpetualize this problem, in large
> > part by moving policy into the kernel that has no business being there.
> > It's the DOS way of fixing things -- quick, dirty, and extremely
> > short-sighted.
>
> Oh, come on! Of course a device driver belongs in the kernel. We're
> not a microkernel, you know.

You have the completely wrong idea what a device driver is! XF86_SVGA
is a device driver! gpm is a device driver (mouse driver.)
magicfilter/ghostscript is a device driver (printer driver.) Neither
belong in the kernel.

Things belong in the kernel if they *have* to be there. Not otherwise.
This implies the need for a coherent, *USER SPACE*, setup for managing
devices. Bootup devices are somewhat a special case, of course, but
that doesn't change the fundamentals.

> Anyway, you talk about this major pitfall which is a problem. *What*
> is this "problem"?

The whole design philosophy behind this. "Throw all the crap in the
kernel, it's the easy solution."

-hpa

--
"The user's computer downloads the ActiveX code and simulates a 'Blue
Screen' crash, a generally benign event most users are familiar with