Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Nate Riffe (inkblot@geocities.com)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 01:13:08 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Dan Hollis wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999, Nathan Hand wrote:
> > If devfs is so bad, could we have reasons why. Policy isn't a good
> > reason (the policy's already in Documentation/devices.txt).
>
> Fear. Ignorance. Resistance to change. Not having read the documentation
> or actually tried devfs. Etc.

What exactly does hpa refer to when he says 'policy'? It's pretty vague
to me.

I've been using devfs for a while now. The only real problems I have with
it are that changes to ownership and permissions are not inherently
persistent and the chicken and the egg problem between device files and
modules.

> > If you're claiming names->devices are policy, but numbers->devices
> > are not, then I'm confused and bewildered.
>
> Me too. Boggle.
>
> -Dan
>

> -

Nate Riffe Duct tape by any other name is just as
inkblot@geocities.com sticky.