Re: Bug in Matrox Framebuffer

Petr Vandrovec Ing. VTEI (VANDROVE@vc.cvut.cz)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 12:04:11 MET-1

Mike Sackton wrote:
> I caused a reproducible hard lockup today. I was ripping an mp3, with
> 8hz-mp3, which outputs status continually to the screen. I then scrolled
> up, but because of the output, I couldn't actually scroll up, so I held
> down shift-pageup, which caused the lock. The reason I suspect the matrox
> framebuffer code is because when I recompiled the kernel to use just the
> standard VGA console, the behavior went away. Magic SysReq does nothing
> when it is locked. This is kernel 2.2.9:
> I'd be happy to do any debugging people want me to do. As I said, I can
> reproduce this at will.
Hi Mike,
could you try to apply patch available at
ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/pub/linux/matrox-latest/matroxfb.gz? It has some
fixes in cursor blinking code, but, I must admit, nothing which could
fix problem you are reporting...
Now I tried it (my teletext grabber uses ncurses and prints each page
number it receives) and after holding 'shift-pgup' for some time
(more than 15 seconds of strange picture blinks...) it stopped scrolling,
but cursor was still blinking... After I hit shift-pgdn, machine died :-(
So simple do not do it until I did not find what's going on, sorry.
Best regards,
Petr Vandrovec
vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

P.S.: All ideas welcomed...