Re: nfsv3 & 2.2.9 breaks smbfs (was: Re: smbfs broken in 2.2.9)

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@adelphia.net)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 07:48:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> > > Trond & Steven, I don't have a patch, but here is what I had to
> > > change to stop the blocking.
> >
> > > Change smb_updatepage in fs/smbfs/file.c; add a
> > > int result;
> > > and change the return from
> > > return smb_writepage_sync(dentry, page, offset, count);
> > > result = smb_writepage_sync(dentry, page, offset,
> > > count); smb_unlock_page(page); return result;
> >
> > > to smb_updatepage in fs/smbfs/file.c.
> >
> > > This also explains why plain 2.2.9 works fine.
> >
> > Oops. Looks like the call to smb_unlock_page that used to be in
> > smb_writepage_sync itself has been removed from the stock kernel since
> > last I looked. Your fix is quite correct.
>
> Thanks! This took care of the problem. For the less adventurous, here's
> the patch (works against 2.2.9-ac3 also):

<groan> Sorry, I should know better than to test anything following a
beer at the end of a long, hot day.. The problem persists in spades!
Now, instead of merely locking the process in a D state, it hangs the
entire machine when attempting to delete a file from the mounted samba
share :-(.

Naturally, I didn't have my other box setup for logging the serial console
at the time. I'll try to capture an oops this evening if no one has
figured it out before then!

So, to reiterate, 2.2.9-ac3 with the above-mentioned patch is still broken
with regard to smbfs. 2.2.9 works fine.

Steve