Re: mailing list problems?

Ralf Baechle (ralf@uni-koblenz.de)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 11:48:05 +0200

On Sun, Jun 06, 1999 at 09:05:45PM -0700, Aaron T Porter wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Jun 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:
>
> > Your address is not at the linux-kernel list.
> > Perhaps it has bounced recently while owner-linux-kernel has
> > been in gross cleanup mood -- remove everybody who bounce..
>
> Remove everyone who bounces a full days mail (or 300 messages in
> under 24 hours). But all these unsubscribes should get a notice
> message, that does bounce too frequently.

That's somewhat overly aggressive. My ISP experience is that customers'
mail server frequently crash over the weekend or holiday, so they stay
down for a few days. I've seen mqueue with several 100,000 emails a few
years ago after a long weekend, today the numbers are probably even
more lethal. Everything handled by sendsnail, btw ...

Ralf