Re: FireWire subsystem in development

Andreas Bombe (andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de)
Tue, 8 Jun 1999 23:02:58 +0200

On Mon, Jun 07, 1999 at 10:28:29AM +0900, Srdjan Sobajic wrote:

> > It seems to me that FireWire and USB both have the same configuration
> > issues to resolve, so sharing the higher level configuration between them
> > may be a cunning plan ...
> >

> I'm not sure what you meant by configuration issues, but a problem
> I see with that is that if we start supporting the 1394 hard drives
> then if someone changes the bus configuration the device names (if
> they are all hard-coded as with SCSI/IDE) would possibly change. (which
> doesn't seem like a good thing.)

That should be dealt with by reading the unique ID out of the devices'
ROMs after bus reset and let such high level code as block drivers
access the nodes through indirect handles instead of node IDs. That
has the advantage that you always have the device you want (hey, even
SCSI IDs change when people meddle with them :-). The disadvantage is
that the unique ID is 64 bits wide, and device nodes can't handle that
(unless we move to 128 bit device numbers...)

--
    Andreas E. Bombe <andreas.bombe@munich.netsurf.de>
    http://home.pages.de/~andreas.bombe/