Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 09:52:59 +0200 (MET DST)

From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.csiro.au>

> > Maybe you don't know, but we have that today.
> >
> > LABEL=Boot /boot ext2 noauto 0 0
> >
> > and
> >
> > UUID=3e6be9de-8139-11d1-9106-a43f08d823a6 /boot ext2 noauto 0 0
> >
> > both work in fstab.
>
> For root?

I think you misunderstood me. I mean does this work for the root FS?

No, it doesn't, since this is a feature of the mount program, not
of the kernel. However, it is possible to boot Linux with a ramdisk
and then also to use this for the (later) root device.
That construction is also required when the root device is on a disk
that has a partition table of a type not understood by the kernel.

Andries