Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Stephen Frost (sfrost@ns.snowman.net)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:53:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:

> I'm not suggesting that the user has to worry about this. This is done
> in the boot scripts or in devfsd. I just don't thing that this belongs
> in devfs (i.e. the kernel) itself. There's no need.
> Creating the symlinks only needs to be done once at boot time.

I don't see that as being the case. What about your USB cdrom?
Or your pcmcia cdrom? Or your firewire cdrom? cdrom's is just one
example as well, there could be a number of other devices where the
devices fall into a similar category ('cdrom') and there exists more than
one and they are connected via different drivers.
The only problem I see is exactly what one of the things devfs
was trying to help get rid of, a cluttered /dev. Now you've got
/dev/<interface> and /dev/<device> directories. Though, I suppose it
isn't as bad if there are only so many devices in a system, and the
directories are only created if a device of that type exists.

Stephen