Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Brendan Cully (brendan@kublai.com)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 10:27:45 -0400

Is anybody else using ALSA? Because devfs is such a horrible idea, they have
decided to create a bunch of device nodes in /proc:

xanadu:~$ ls -l /proc/asound/dev
total 0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 116, 0 Jun 9 10:18 controlC0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 116, 8 Jun 9 10:18 midiC0D0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 116, 4 Jun 9 10:18 mixerC0D0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 116, 16 Jun 9 10:18 pcmC0D0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 116, 17 Jun 9 10:18 pcmC0D1
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 116, 33 Jun 9 10:18 timer
xanadu:~$

these are of course dynamically created based on what devices the sound
driver has detected. To use them, symlinks are supposed to be created in
dev(!). So instead of device nodes that can't be opened, we just have
dangling symlinks :(

Maybe the SCSI subsystem should dynamically create devices in
/proc/scsi/<controller>/<bus>/ too?

What I mean is, if ALSA is going to become a standard part of the kernel,
devfs would be a nice companion, so that we could avoid moving /dev into an
already somewhat ridiculous /proc filesystem.