Re: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

Barry Treahy (treahy@mmaz.com)
Wed, 09 Jun 1999 11:03:40 -0700

Please forgive me Jeff, I have no intent to assasinate your character but these
were your words, yes?:

> > Don't you guys have something more constructive to focus on, like getting
> > real work done to make Linux better? If folks don't like it, then they
> > should join Jerry Falwell's Radio Preacher "moral majority" club

I do agree with your immediate statement below that the morality of this
discussion has nothing to do with technological viability of the product, so why
did you make the comment earlier? Are changing posititions?

Regardless, my point still stands which you missed in both messages and that is
that, atleast in corporate America, it is a battle to introduce good, new,
quality products that do not have MS branding and anything that can be or is
used to distract from the positive attributes of the product make it harder to
sell to management. Lets face it, atleast here in America, we are not known for
buying the 'best' product in the market, just the best 'marketed' product;
remember the 'Pet-Rock' and yes MS?

Marketing of Linux is just as crucial as any other aspect of Linux and if
profanity in the code can be used against it, then why should we make life
harder for ourselves.

I'll state it again, this isn't a morale issue, this is business and I want to
use the best tools available to me, not forced to use the industry norm because
some bean counter reads about a choice of words used in the sources, and perhaps
for kernel errors, and HE becauses offended!

Barry Treahy