Re: Preparations for ZD's upcoming Apache/Linux benchmark

Alex Belits (abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us)
Wed, 9 Jun 1999 19:51:20 -0700 (PDT)

On 10 Jun 1999, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> > What header? Userspace only needs to call accept() and get a file
> >descriptor -- it will never know the difference after that.
>
> I don't know enough about the spec to even know whether there is any
> persistent "state" across the operations. If there is not, then no
> header is necessary, obviously. I thought of the header as a way of
> possibly initializing any persistent state issues so that the user mode
> could know about the fact that we've used the socket.

HTTP requests are independent enough from each other, and any state, if it
exists, is kept by applications through URLs and cookies. It is unrelated
to TCP connections used.

--
Alex

---------------------------------------------------------------------- Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie! -- Anonymous Coward