Re: [SuSE Linux] 2.2 Boot problems

Bill C. Riemers (bcr@feynman.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:36:39 -0400

"Andre M. Hedrick" wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Bill C Riemers wrote:
>
> You really should check to see if your BIOS correctly setup the PIIX/USB.

Yeah. Don't look for anything about me trying to use them in the near future.
Those are just long term reasons why I want to get the 2.2 kernel working. Another
would be so that I can tell SuSE how to make boot floppies that actually boot!
Every time I do an upgrade right now, e.g. 5.3 to 6.0, 6.0 to 6.1, ..., I have to
take one of my swap partitions, install a root partition on it, and boot from that.
The reason is SuSE uses 2.2 kernels in all of it's boot floppies, and YaST can not
update the BASE on a running system.

> Tell us what you rip apart and why.
> For the record, Mark is "The Former-Linux IDE guy" bestowing me the task.
>
> Now which "PIIX" is the problem??? PIIXa-PIIXb-PIIX3-PIIX4

You've seen the boot log, so you know probably more than I do. The PIIX messages are
the most significant difference between 2.0 and 2.2 I see in the boot log, and the
relevant ide-pci.c file does not exist in 2.0. Since those are the last messages it
prints before hanging, it is only natural to conclude that the most likely source
of problem is the code printing out the PIIX messages. Although I'll try the
ide0 and ide1 noprobe options first. That sounds really quick to try, and if it
works I'll be REALLY happy. But if it doesn't probe, how is it going to know the
hard drive geometry? Are there other flags I should specify with that?

Bill