Re: PIIX bug report

Andre M. Hedrick (hedrick@Astro.Dyer.Vanderbilt.Edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:52:42 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Petru Paler wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried to boot 2.3.6 (I have used 2.3.5 with no problems) and it
> seems that there is a problem with the PIIX code. Here's the relevant
> fragment from booting sequence:
>
> Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 6.19
> PIIX4: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
> PIIX4: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xf008-0xf00f, BIOS settings: hdc:DMA, hdd:DMA
> hda: ST31277A, ATA DISK drive
> hdb: CRD-8320B, ATAPI CDROM drive
> ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
> hda: set_geometry_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: set_geometry_intr: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }

I know what this is and can correct it.
It is harmless and appeared in another piece of code (pdc202xx.c).
I just need to added to the chipset code a test for verification of a good
BIOS/board combination. Many of the PIIX4 based kludges have crummy bios
code, and need to overrided.

Since you have a good bios/mainboard combination, skip the inclusion of
the "piix.c" chipset code.