Re: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

David Chappell (David.Chappell@mail.cc.trincoll.edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:18:00 -0400

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999, Thierry Danis wrote:

> And what about a patch to internationalize the output strings ?
> Should it keep "profanity" expressions :-) (not every end user
> is able to fully appreciate english "profanity").

Sorry, but I can't resist this one.

I suggest litteral translation. Here are some possibilities:

Your network card is visting the toilet.
Your network card is a fornicator.
Your network card has been condemned to punishment.
What demonic manifestation is this?

If someone wants to translate the source code comments into standard English,
there are places where this translation could be useful:

Writing memory management code is like dog ownership.

I hope I have helped.