Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers

Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 19:44:43 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> Many people discussed the problems with partition names,
> like finding the correct partition , shifting partition IDs
> when changing HW configuration , etc.
>
> I have s simple solution for that:
> Use partition names.

This is (at least on the PC) a userspace issue.

As a previous poster pointed out, you can already do this by specifying

LABEL=Home /home ext2 defaults 1 2
or
UUID=<whatever it is> /home ext2 defaults 1 2

in fstab. I tried it, and mount likes the labels just fine. However, my
fsck doesn't understand the labels yet (didn't try the UUIDs).

Is there a new fsck that will look at ext2 labels like mount does?

I suppose mount/fsck could be taught to look at the label in the RDB if
you have an Amiga.

[snip]
> Some might notice that I "borrowed" the idea from the Amiga line of computers.

:)

On my Amiga, when I was partitioning a new drive, it asked me for a name,
so I gave it MOE:, which was an easier name to remember than DH3:

Brad