Re: Devfs, was Re: Migrating to larger numbers

Daniel Taylor (dante@plethora.net)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:34:39 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Stephen Frost wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
>
> > The symlinks would be put under /dev/cd. And it's only ever going to
> > have a few entries because I can't imagine many different interface
> > types being implemented.
> >
> > Now, if you *really* care, you can have devfsd create the symlinks in
> > /dev/cd as each interface type is loaded. Personally, I wouldn't
> > bother.
>
> I can understand that, and thinking back on it, the question
> really is, of what use is this? It does seem somewhat silly and
> cluttering things that don't really need to be... The
> for cd in /dev/*/cd solution (Provided that layout never changes)
> seems simple enough to me...
>
> I realize you didn't initially request this, so I'm not trying
> to ask you what use this is, but rather the list. :)

The primary benefit is that your /dev directory is only as
cluttered as your system. If you have a system with a dozen
different interfaces and a dozen devices hanging off each
interface it is a mess and there is no avoiding a cluttered /dev.

However: every device in that cluttered /dev is *really_there*.

Daniel Taylor