Re: generalizing khttpd

Jordan Mendelson (jordy@wserv.com)
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 21:03:04 -0400

Christoph Lameter wrote:

> You are talking about a function call taking a filehandle and a socket
> which would send the file contents directly onto the socket right?
>
> something like send_file(filehandle,sockethandle)

If that's the only thing khttpd gains from being in the kernel then yes. Is the
sendfile syscall which exists right now somehow inferior to khttpd in terms of
raw speed and efficiency of outputing a file to a socket?

I was under the impression that khttpd had other reasons for going kernel mode
such as faster ability to get timestamps and what not on the file itself.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com