Re: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

Bernd Paysan (bernd.paysan@gmx.de)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:22:42 +0000

Stephen Frost wrote:
> Also, it seems unlikely to me that many very young folks will be
> getting into the kernel and looking around. It's rather unlikely your 13
> year old is going to pick up swearing by grepping linux kernel source...

I suppose when you tell the average 13 year old that there is profanity
in the Linux kernel sources, (s)he's likely to respond:

"Gosh! What the fuck is `profanity'?"

I remember a discussion between my neighbour and his son (back then
around age of 7), where this boy named another one of his school-class
"jerk". "Hey, you don't even know what a jerk is" - "But he's one!" -
"Even if so, there would be nothing evil in that" - "Yes, there is, this
bloody jerk is fucking up everything"... (well, the discussion was in
German, but we do have proper translations to all that).

The only "danger" profanity in the mouth of minors present is that those
words loose their sexual context.

--
Bernd Paysan