Re: Profanity in the Linux Kernel?!?!?

Matti Aarnio (matti.aarnio@sonera.fi)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:37:33 +0300

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 01:01:54PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> As you can see, LOTS of info is printed out. I don't really follow what
> it all means, except the 'SHIT', which happily tells me something BAD happened. :)
> Of course, for all I know 'SHIT' could be a valid reister. ;)

Indeed, this entire talk reminds me of names/abbreviations that cisco
egineering seems to give to their gadgets. I just noticed that some
LAN-switch had a new CAM (Content Addressable Memory) unit called:
SuperCAM
naturally its abbreviation is SCAM :-)

Also the Cisco 12000 router used to be called "BFR", until somebody at
marketing (?) finally heard the words behind the abbreviation, and now
it is "GSR" ... ("Big Fucking Router" -> "Giga Switch Router")
(It could have been originally something like: Billion Frame Router,
but that isn't as cheeky as the latter meaning...)

We could of course change all apparently english profanities to e.g.
finnish ones, and only tight-minded finns (they do exist, unfortunately)
would take offence...

But this entire P.C. talk is pointless.
If you can IMPROVE some error report, then go ahead and submit it,
otherwise don't mess with things that don't need messing with.