Re: More new schedule() results ...

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:18:46 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Davide Libenzi wrote:

> N.Threads 2.3.5 MyPatch Diff
>
> 2 700000 600000 -15 %
> 10 280000 365000 +25 %
> 450 6100 8900 +45 %

this is what i suspected. If we are switching 450 threads that also do
some real work then we are trashing the cache _badly_ already, so pure
scheduling costs will not matter at all. Most systems (even loaded
servers) have typically less than 5 runnable processes. So those systems
will see 15% scheduling slowdown. Some applications might use many threads
- for those cases your patch is a nice improvement.

-- mingo