Re: [PPC] ext2 filesytem corruption on linux 2.2.9 PowerPC

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Sun, 13 Jun 1999 01:08:14 +0200

On Fri, Jun 11, 1999 at 11:58:38PM +0200, Giuliano Pochini wrote:
> >My ext2 filesystem is quickly corrupted on my PowerPC board.
> >I suppose a little endian to big endian conversion missing somewhere
> >in the ext2 code.
> >
> >Have you the same problem on PowerPC ?
>
> No problems here.
> AFAIK ext2 on ppc is native big-endian.

No, that's not so (any more). I have a vague recollection that it used
to be a long time ago, but (from the e2fsck man page) :

-s This option will byte-swap the filesystem so that
it is using the normalized, standard byte-order
(which is i386 or little endian).

I think if there were a missing little-endian conversion anywhere,
someone would have already found it by now since it is in use on
Sparcs, UltraSparcs, MIPS, PPC and m68k based machines, all of which
are big-endian.

Have you checked your cables are okay? A friend of mine lost a lot
of data once when his scsi cable lost one wire..

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of