Re: initrd redesign (was Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers)

Werner Almesberger (almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch)
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:55:18 +0200

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> The patch that exists on my website has the problem that it
> does not allow the remounting of filesystems that do not have a device
> associated with them.

No problem - with something like /proc/mount-devs (see my previous
posting), one can easily look up or temporarily create the corresponding
device file, including all the "unnamed" ones. LILO has code for
obtaining a device by its number.

> The current proposed solution introduces a new flag, MS_MOVE which
> indicates that the filesystem should be moved to a new mountpoint.

I guess I would just have reused MS_REMOUNT to avoid forcing a mount
update, but MS_MOVE is probably cleaner, considering that you can
create somewhat obscure configuration problems this way.

- Werner