Re: egcs-1.1.2 ping bug also causes miscompilation of pcbit isdn drive

Joerg Pommnitz (pommnitz@darmstadt.gmd.de)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:18:51 +0200

I suggest you go to the egcs mailing list archives and read
the thread (flame war??) titled "Linux and aliasing?". The first
message is http://egcs.cygnus.com/ml/egcs/1999-06/msg00082.html

In this thread the exact problem you are seeing here is
analyzed and the conclusion on the egcs team site is that
the Linux kernel code is broken and that they have no
intentions to change egcs to support sloppy coding.

To quote Jeffrey Law:
> Building a new set of aliasing rules which are only
> going to be used by the Linux kernel to avoid making
> their code standards complaint is simply dumb. We should
> follow the ISO/ANSI rules and be done with it.
>
> I'm not going to approve any changes of this nature.
> jeff

BTW, Linus acknowledges that the code in question violates
ISO aliasing rules. However, he does not see how to audit
the 10 million+ lines of Linux kernel to fix all the broken
code. This means that the Linux kernel will either have to
live with gcc-2.7.2 and all its ancient bugs or use the
-fno-strict-alias option of egcs.

Regards
Joerg