Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers

DAVID BALAZIC (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:33:15 +0100 (MET)

From: Marc Lehmann <pcg@goof.com>

>On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 02:22:07PM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
>> >
>> > This does not at all mean they can't be used!
>>
>> OK , then how would you make this :
>> "mke2fs on partition YAHOO1"
>> if the label YAHOO1 isn't defined anywhere ?
>
>I was mainly speaking of e2fsck. You normally don't do mke2fs
>automatically. But even then, yes, volume labels could sitll be used,
>although their use would be far less common.
>
>> > If the partition is so corrupt that the label name can't be found
>> > user interaction is probably necessary anyway. If the label is intact
>> > everything is fine.
>>
>> But if it isn't , then it's not fine. If the FS is corrupted , then
>> any part of it can be bad , including the label , don't you think so ?
>
>Why this should be a reason not to use them escapes me. At the moment its
>practically impossible to use labels in your fstab just because e2fsck
>doesn't support them.

I don't say you shouldn't use volume labels , but that partition
labels are more suitable for those tasks.

>Do _you_ want to tell me that 99% of the time, e2fsck does something else
>than saying "filesystem clean"?

When accessing a partition by volume label , the app must read all
avaliable partition and look for the correct label. This might
be undesirable.

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein@writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija