Re: holes for ISA boards...

Tom Leete (tleete@access.mountain.net)
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:04:32 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: tytso@mit.edu <tytso@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: holes for ISA boards...

> From: "Tom Leete" <tleete@access.mountain.net>
> Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 02:17:54 -0400
>
> Here's My Rant (tm). Not directed at HE or AJG.
>
> The question of support for ISA accelerated SVGA cards is a FAQ, or
ought to
> be. IMHO it is shameful that the answer is "You can't do that."
>
> The form of that answer is usually "Buy a new video card." I grit my
teeth
> at that and think "Don't change the subject." Problem hardware is not
the
> same thing as a hardware problem.
>
>Tom,
>
> The other standard answer to this question is --- "You have the
>source code; make it work and send us a patch."

http://web.mountain.net/~tleete/
is home for my configified version of bigphysarea. I announced it on this
list.
As I noted in an unquoted portion of my post, bigphysarea is not the correct
solution for an ISA memory hole, though it is the third standard reply to
the FAQ. That's how I got interested in bigphysarea. In kernel/init.c, vm
initialization assumes that all memory is contiguous. This causes a hole mod
to bigphysarea to fail for the same reason that Aaron Grier noted using a
bios memory hole.

> Linux is an Open Source project, staffed mostly by volunteers.
>The good news is this means that if you feel very strongly about the
>lack of a feature, you have the freedom to go and add that feature
>enough. If it's not worth enough of your time to do that, then it
>obviously wasn't worth a lot of your time. If everyone collectively
>decides it's not worth their time to do it, then perhaps it wasn't worth
>doing after all.
>
> - Ted

I think the remainder of my post suggested that I'm doing precisely that.

This problem has been around a lot longer than I have. Sorry if you took
offense.

Regards,
Tom