Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

yodaiken@chelm.cs.nmt.edu
Tue, 15 Jun 1999 23:44:57 -0600

On Tue, Jun 15, 1999 at 11:18:11PM -0400, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> naming scheme that people want to experiment with. That's definitely
> policy that shouldn't be enforced by the kernel, so we would have a
> user-mode daemon that can consult a database (ala lspci, etc.) which can

I'm impressed with the mindspring dns server that is designed to use real
databases. Once the configuration information becomes complex
enough, it's really time to get the OS and OS daemon's out of the "reinvent
a data base" market.