Re: Partition nightmare Was: Migrating to larger numbers

Simon Richter (geier@phobos.fachschaften.tu-muenchen.de)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:18:40 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999, Riley Williams wrote:

[volume labels]

> > Well I have 10 partitions at home on only one disk.

> Perhaps one of you can analyse my setup and advise how many extra
> seeks per boot would be required:

[...]

> At a quick count, I make that 61 partitions to check on each mount...

Well, usually you mount all your harddisks on bootup, and I don't care if
the system seeks a few partitions every five years. :-)

No, seriously: Most, if not all, mounts you do while the system is running
are referencing devices anyway (/dev/fd0, /dev/cdrom, ...). Those few that
remain usually happen shortly after another, and most likely at bootup,
where much physical memory is still available.

So why not read in that information once at bootup, act upon it and throw
it away after some time or when a program tells us to?

Simon

PGP public key available from ftp://phobos.fs.tum.de/pub/pgp/geier.asc
Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8 47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1
GEEK code block available from ftp://phobos.fs.tum.de/pub/gcb/geier.asc
3:03pm up 51 days, 20:41, 3 users, load average: 1.01, 1.02, 1.00