Re: UUIDs (and devfs and major/minor numbers)

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:15:43 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 tytso@mit.edu wrote:
> Sigh. Let me try again. The fact that people are arguing about names
> means that it is clear the kernel should *not* be dictating what shows
> up in /dev. That should be done by a user-mode daemon.

The interesting question, of course, is: how is this different than the
policy currently being set by /proc? Where is the user-mode daemon
allowing me to change the layout of /proc/sys to a more appropriate
layout?

> Like it or not,
> the names in /dev *are* policy, and kernel should not be dictating
> policy. Therefore, the kernel should not be deciding what names appear
> in /dev. Q.E.D.

Like it or not, the names in /proc *are* policy, and kernel should not be
dictating policy. Therefore, the kernel should not be deciding what names
appear in /proc. Q.E.D.

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]