Incident Report Re: DO YOU BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION? CLICK HERE!

J Kinsley (jkinsley@bticc.net)
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:07:03 -0400

> From: bmpokv@pastlife.com
> Newsgroups: lists.fwb.users,lists.ifmail
> Subject: DO YOU BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION? CLICK HERE! 7192
> Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:28:38 GMT

> DO YOU BELIEVE IN REINCARNATION?
>
> Do you want to know who you were and where you lived in your
> past life?
>
> Click here-> http://www.pridesites.com/pastlife

> This message was posted with POST AGENT
> The BEST bulk news poster
> Download your FREE copy now at:
> http://postagent.com/default.asp?fromAgentID=1819
>
> qjgyqgmywbyjgmlwemenevzjpxxomxgst

This message is an incident report regarding a spam attack that
took place this afternoon (17 June 1999). At 17:28 GMT our
internal news server was compromised by a mad spammer.
Fortunately, we were able to get the server shutdown in time to
prevent the spam from propagating to the major news hiearchies
and our FidoNet distribution. However, we have a number of gated
mailing lists on the server which have instant distribution and
thus got hit by the spam. The result has been a deluge of
complaints to our abuse address. Since it would take the rest of
the week to reply to them all, this report is being sent to each
individual who sent a complaint as well as the lists that were
spammed and the appropriate parties involved in the incident.

The attacker used a bogus From: header using pastlife.com, but
the origin IP was 200.244.102.179. After some time with nslookup
and whois, I sent an e-mail to the Brazilian Research Network
where the IP was part of their class A subnet. Within minutes
Cristine Hoeper of nic.br sent me the nic record of
highway.com.br where the the attack originated. A few minutes
later I also got the following reply from Fernando Bravo of
highway.com.br. Thanks guys and gals for the extremely fast
response.